Radishes are one of the easiest vegetables to grow, with quick varieties maturing in as little as 3 weeks during the summer. The best types of radish for container growing are the small, quick-maturing globular varieties.
How to do it
- Fill pot or container with loam based compost such as John Innes.
- Sow radish seed thinly 1cm (1/2in) deep, 4 cm (1 1/2in) apart.
- Sprinkle compost over the seeds
- Water with fine spray
- Position the growing radish in a sunny or semi-shaded position where they get plenty of light. A balcony or patio would do fine, as would a sunny windowsill.
- Keep soil evenly moist
- The radishes should germinate within 4-8 days
- Thin out seedlings to 3 – 5cm (1 -2in) apart if necessary.
- Radishes will mature within 3-6 weeks
TIP: Different varieties can be grown at different times and can be sown at 3 week intervals between April and September to ensure a steady supply.